Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home Is Where You Make It

Today marks my second anniversary as a Nashvillian.  I've heard it takes about two years for a new city to really feel like home.  After two years, it is still sometimes hard to believe that I live here! But I'm so thankful for the year I had to live with one of my best friends and figure out what life is like after college, and for the year I've spent making a home with my husband.

Nashville is far from home and we sure do miss our friends and family back in Texas, but there are so many things we love about good 'ole Rocky Top.  Here's the short list:


  • Ryman Auditorium- The "Mother Church of Country Music" and one of the country's most legendary music venues.  We have enjoyed the backstage tours, some great concerts, and a live recording of the Grand Ole Opry!
  • Arrington Vineyards- This is one of the first places Marcus and I went together when I moved to Nashville! It's owned by Kix Brooks (the first half of Brooks and Dunn) and is a great place to have a picnic, taste some wine, and soak up the views.
  • MAFIAoZA'S and Rotier's- Just two of our many favorite restaurants in Nashville- one has great pizza and the other is a Nashville institution, famous for its burgers.  From five-star dining to food trucks, Nashville does not disappoint when it comes to food.
  • YMCA- I never knew much about The Y growing up, but Nashville has several and our neighborhood center is one of the best.  It was recently renovated and I have really enjoyed working out at Zumba classes and lounging by the pool during the summer.
  • Blood:Water Mission- I have the best job I could have ever dreamed of.  You've heard the story- when I returned from Africa, I knew I wanted to do something to continue the work I did there, and my job allows me to do just that.  Blood:Water Mission exists to empower communities to work together against the HIV/AIDS and water crises in Africa and I feel so privileged to be a part.
  • Chuy's- Our little piece of Austin in Nashville.  I'll admit, we are snobs when it comes to Mexican food.  Tex-Mex is the best and Chuy's is better than any other Mexican restaurant in this town. End of discussion. 
Nashville is a one-of-a-kind place, with all the perks of a big city, but the feel of a small town. It is full of good food, good music, and good people. Come visit and let us show you our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...